Monday, April 25, 2011

1961 Lincoln Continental Coupe. One of my Faves!

In the absence of a brand-new chop, here's one of my all time favorites, a "Continentalized" '61 Lincoln Continental. Besides losing the two rear doors, I re-proportioned every panel on the car for a long-hood, short-deck design. I shortened overhangs and made the C pillar a bit thicker for that proper contemporary look as well. I enlarged the wheels to 20-inches, the new "modern" 15-inchers, but would style the wheel to replicate the original clean wheelcovers. It might be cool to see a set of 20-inch tires with an aspect ratio of perhaps 50, tall for a "20," and have it include a 2-inch whitewall...

I photoshopped this car early last year, and it has appeared in The Autoextremist, and CarSpyShots.

9 comments:

  1. Talking about 50/50 weight distribution, you probably get better traction this way in inclement weather. I can also picture the late Johnny Cash leaning up against the C pillar area dressed all in black with those long sideburns giving a thumps up.
    Of course he would remain in color while everything else is in black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cash altogether was a different kind of man. He had a dark-side about him but without any evilness. He wasn't like any of those punks from Black Sabbath, Mega Death or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. Build me a real one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A study in perfection Casey. Although I'm sure all of the changes from the 4 door would have never made it past the bean counters, the Continental line-up would have been greatly enhanced with the addition of your 2 door coupe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is either the Continental Mark I or the Lincoln Coupe de Ville. Looks like about 9 mpg of classy comfort. (Think a diamond-cutter can work in the back seat?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having seen this before, I still love it. I've always loved these Lincolns -- they were so different from everything else. Lincoln went from a lineup of about 9 models to 2 and still sold as many cars as they did in 1960. I know we sometimes decry the paucity of body styles nowadays, but in this case, if the two you have are perfect, what else do you need? A two-door would have been nice but cleary was not deemed necessary until 1966.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly beautiful rednering. It's extremly impressive how you kept reality in mind yet created an amazing concept car that would likely have been one for the automotive design history books. Quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete