Monday, August 6, 2012

1958 Lincoln Premiere Coupe Pickup

Just the thing for the "Gentleman Farmer" of 1958—the Lincoln Coupe Pickup.

C  H O P S — While "chatting" on FB today, in a post about the original '57 Ranchero and '59 El Camino, I mentioned that I liked both of thm, but that I'd like an uplevel interior in them. The Fairlane 500 and Impala trim would have been nice to be able to choose, but then again, in that time period, both of those car-based trucks were considered pretty "fancy" anyway, even with their bargain basement interiors. I began to wonder what a similar period Lincoln or Cadillac car-based pickup would look like. At the time, I thought the Lincoln Mark's reversed C pillar would look great on a pickup. I had a few minutes tonight to relax, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I soon realized that I preferred the "regular" Lincoln Premiere's wraparound rear window. It would give a bit more space behind the front seats, perhaps to enable them to recline, and it also gives a nice symmetry with the front windshield. And it's not as if the car needed an extra foot of cargo space, lol, this first series of unit-bodied Lincolns was almost 19-feet long to begin with! I "painted" the car in a period salmon-beige with a white roof and Photoshopped a new background in that complimented those new colors. I also added some of my flowers, lol. I think this worked out a million times better than expected. At least! : )

13 comments:

  1. Very nice. I especially like the Salmon and White Two-toned paint scheme. Sooo period correct. Thanks.

    BobF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! the car was originally a beige, but when I started playing around with the hue I hit on this salmon and it really worked!

      Delete
  2. This is hilarious! And if I squint just a bit, I can pretend it's actually a Lincoln business coupe! Good job!!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought of a business coupe once I started moving the roofline around! One of these days... : )

      Delete
  3. Casey, all your Lincoln needs is an art easel, a few pieces of drift wood, flowers, fresh tomatoes, a sack of fresh cheese and a IMac in the back and your set to go, lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Casey,This one is really fun!
    The first real car I ever modified was a '57 Imperial that I Elcaminoed. I was 17 and did it in my parents upscale neighborhood driveway. I made many scribbles to see what it would look like before I started tocut it up,Sure would have been fun to have you digitally render it first(the year was 1969). The results still look good to me today. Years later I did a '63 Continental and even added a little wood trim on the otherwise
    slab sides. Both of these ended up with a verticle B pillar window line that I wasn't crazy about but they started out as sedans so to maintain the original tempered curved glass I felt I had to work around it. Really love the way your Lincoln's window line is from the C pillar moved forward.Keep having fun ! Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marty! Thanks! Do you have any photos of that '57 Imperial you customized? I'd do a rendering of it today for you from a photograph... Or I could just do something like this one. The '57 Imp's roofline could easily be moved forward in a Photoshop rendering like this. That canopy roofline might work perfectly. I would love to have skills in metal and not just with pixels but I'm klutzy mechanically. I'd probably set fire to myself and everything around me if I had a welding torch in my hands!

      Delete
  5. Hi Casey
    I do have a digital photo of a photo of the Imperialcamino but have no idea how to attach it to this blog? My only computer is an now antigue I pad 2 ? Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a realy nice job you did there. I like this Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete