Friday, December 14, 2012

2014 Malibu Maxx: Reimagined Hatchback Coupe

 I think it's time to bring back a high-style 3-door hatchback to the intermediate class. Clickable thumbnail enlarges to almost full-screen, as always.

The cool 5-door Malibu Maxx hasn't been in the Chevy lineup for almost 5 years. It was produced on the 6th generation 'Bu platform from 2003-08. For this chop, I decided the Maxx could be updated into a very glassy 3-door hatchback with a very glassy roof. The original Maxx had a stationary glass roof over the backseat, so this 3 door just extends that glass panel over the front seat, too. For the profile, I looked WAY back to the 1970s Chevy Monza, an Italianate body hung over a slightly modified Vega platform. The louvered B pillar and "pointed" greenhouse evoke that cool Monza in a way Chevy never has.

6 comments:

  1. I like this car. I always thought the original Malibu Maxx was cool -- I never understood the animosity toward it and toward the Malibu on which it was based. Chevrolet could use a nice two-door besides the Camaro and I think this would fill the bill nicely.

    You mention that Chevrolet has never evoked the Monza -- I think the Vega/Monza and all its various iterations are the only GM cars more reviled than the Cimarron (or maybe the Oldsmobile diesel!).

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I like all those cars, lol, even the Cimarron. It was a lousy attempt at a luxury car, but it was a good looking, well-equipped for the day, compact sedan. And the original Vegas and Monzas were such great looking designs! I should do a smaller-than-ATS Cadillac Cimarron chop just to freak people out, lol!

      Delete
  2. I was quite taken with those Vega/Monza cars that all the divisions had except Cadillac. The notchback Pontiacs were my favorites. Except for the Vega sedan delivery -- I don't know if I ever saw one in person but I liked the idea of them. The Cimarron was probably a mistake (I'm sure it wasn't profitable for Cadillac) but I liked them, particularly after they put the front clip on them. My ex considered buying one of the last ones as a used car -- it was all yellow inside and out and had the V6. I encouraged him but no dice!

    I guess a smaller than ATS would be based on the Cruze? or the Spark? Or the other little one (Sonic?)? Buick did a creditable job with the Cruze-based Verano. I'll be amused, I'm sure, to see what you come up with.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really thinking about it, I guess a smaller than ATS would have to be FWD and then it would have to be based on the Cruze/Verano which would cannibalize the Verano. Maybe I'll cut down an ATS into a 2 seat convertible and coupe, keep it RWD but take the back seat out. They have that new little coupe coming out, the ELC, based on the Volt. Mine would definitely have to have old-school sports car proportions.

      Delete
  3. that should be "new front clip"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me think more of the big 80's Opel coupes

    ReplyDelete