Friday, March 15, 2013

If I Been There . . . Rendered 1948 Packard Ad

My take on a print ad for the 1948 Packard Super Eight Touring Sedan, done as if I was in the automotive community back in those heady, early post-war years in Detroit. I gave it a new tagline as well, "Your Day Has Arrived," referring to the optimistic post-war boom in the economy from the previously war-weary public.

"Your Day Has Arrived"
C H O P — The base image for this piece was a scan of an illustration of a '48 Super Eight from one of Packard's sales/dealer brochures. I found the jpg online, I believe at that awesome Old Car Brochures site, here.

While I didn't change the profile of this regal sedan one bit, I changed all the detailing on it and gave it a two-tone finish. Changes include the rear taillights, fender skirts, rocker panels, side spear and other trim. One of my friends, the esteemed Palm Springs Automobilist, blog link here and on my Blog Roll, told me my changes resembled what Bill Mitchell's studios might have done, high praise indeed!

Once I was done with the car I "lifted" it from its period layouts and stylistically placed it at the shore. Color matching created a very special and "eye-catching" ad if I do say so myself. Finishing it off was an optimistic new post-war tagline I created for this Packard: Your Day Has Arrived.
  • I've reworked a couple of 1954 Studebaker ads, creating sedans from their lower, longer coupe bodies. It's posted at my original blog, casey/artandcoloujr. I didnt' realize it wasn't also posted here. Enjoy! Link, here.

7 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a period ad. This one is properly aristocratic and aspirational. Just what you need in an ad for Packard. Good stuff.

    BobF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob! I've also reworked a period Studebaker ad. It was on my other blog so I've added the link to this one. I made "Loewy Sedans" that more closely matched the beautiful coupes.

      Delete
  2. This is spectacular! Your more sophisticated detailing really works. I am quite familiar with the brochure you reference on the Old Care Brochures website -- they really exagerated the proportions of cars in brochure and advertsing illustrations in those days -- this one looks more like the proportions of a Custom Eight. The interior illustrations in that particular piece are particularly lovely.

    Thank you for this -- it was a lovely surprise on this gray Saturday afternoon!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Paul, and thank you for your comments. They help THIS gray Saturday afternoon!

      Delete
  3. I've just looked at your Studebakers. I don't recall seeing them before but I think I was reading your blog in 2010. Anyway, I love these and I love the way you described the interior of the Commander. Either SIA or CA showed a picture of a full-size clay of a coupe-inspired sedan that wasn't just the regular sedan on a longer wheelbase (Land Cruiser/President) but really used the proportions of the coupe. I think that would have made huge difference to Studebaker back then -- they were coming off two really big sales years -- 50 and 51 -- and the big 100th anniversary celebration in 52, they had a fully automatic transmission and a nice newish V8. Of course. Ford and Chevrolet still would have gone to war in 54 but Studebaker might have had enough momentum to ride that out and might have made enough profit to do a major revision for the boom year of 1955.

    All those "in only"s!!

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go back to that time and make all the RIGHT decisions for those Independents! : )

      Delete