Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What if. . . Mark II Slantback?

The 1956-57 Mark II coupe is a tours-de-force. It is elegance personified with its formal roof and clean lines. It is one of the cleanest cars of the Fifties decade.

With this chop, I'm exploring what the car may have looked like without the severely formal and close-coupled roof.  I gave it a faster roofline and backlight. I straightened out the classic body contour kickup in the rear quarters and, obviously, gave it rear fender skirts and chromed rockerpanel trim.  Smaller details include moving the exhaust outlets down from below the taillights to below the bumper, thus extending the "tubular" rocker panel trim. I filled in the former exhaust pods and glassed-over the license plate recess. 

I'm not in any way "improving" the Mark II with these changes, that would be impossible! But I think this look could have been developed into a stunning car by the Mark's stylists had they gone in this direction!

8 comments:

  1. Casey, it feels too Early-60s-Cadillac-ky to me in the rear side windows. I really appreciate you sharing your talent, and the work you must put into your photo-chops! I hope some magaine or car company hires you some day. (I also enjoy your insightful comments over on JMG.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Larry! Thanks for stopping by! I wouldn't be surprised if my love for Cadillac styling MAY have subconsciously influenced me in some way! The fender skirts and rocker panel chrome are Cadillac-ish for sure. I've been slow doing these lately but I hope you check back sometime.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob! I started it very quickly like I do so many, and they usually go no further. But this one just looked right pretty quickly so I kept going for the night. Have a great 4th tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Hi Casey,

    Happy Fourth! I like this revision of one of my favorite cars of, not only the 50s, but of all time! The rear treatment has a very George Barris feel to it -- this might have made a nice progression for 58 and beyond (I'm sure you've seen the studio pics of the car with stacked dual headlamps -- actually not bad looking!) if they'd decided to stick with the Continental Division. But they didn't so I'm glad to see your take on the car. Thanks.

    Paul, NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul, thanks! And have a great 4th tomorrow in the city! I always enjoyed the fireworks down there. We have some off the beach tomorrow night I'll walk down to. Nighttime mob scenes in the country always remind me of Stephen King's Delores Claiborne. There is a famous eclipse scene in that book.

      Delete
  4. I like the athleticism of your re-design. It seems to me that it is a closer thematic match to the original Continental. I must admit though, I love these cars. I saw one in a coral colour a few years ago near where I live. I was spellbound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi just was looking at the car can I have it for a formal
    Adress 81 sussex st Mary-bough QLD.

    ReplyDelete